Friday, January 15, 2010

December 23rd Family Christmas Party

So every December 23rd since I've been alive we have our annual Christmas party with my dad's side of the family. My dad has 3 brothers and 3 sisters. They are all married with kids and their kids have kids, etc you get the gist. Not everyone comes because some people live outside Utah, but we usually get a good turn out. I did not bring my camera, so I don't have pictures, but we had a nice time. Some of this family I only see on this day of the year which is kind of sad. We always have it on the 23rd because that was my Grandpa's birthday. If my grandpa were still alive he would have been 90 years old this year. Crazy. My grandpa died when I was a little over a year old. He had a heart-attack. So I didn't know my grandpa which makes me a little sad. My grandpa built houses for a living. My Grandma (dad's mom) is also not alive, but she died when I was a senior in high school. So I was able to get to know my grandma and spend lot's of time with her. I use to sleep over at her house all the time. Three things that remind me of my grandma are cream soda rootbeer, scrabble, and mini boxes of cereal.
Anyway, back to the party. We start off by eating. We have lot's of yummy food. Everyone just brings potluck. Then we have a talent show which has gone on for years. I use to participate in the talent show in my younger years. I have many good memories of those times. I can remember my brothers doing a Grinch skit one year for it. It was really funny and we have it on video. I also remember doing line dancing with my sister and Aunt Carolyn. Yep that's right we did the good old fashioned boot scoot and boogie in front of everyone. However, now it is usually just the young kids that participate. My nieces and nephew participated this year with some singing and dancing. They were cute. Then after the talent show we always have a white elephant gift exchange. Then we clean-up and go home. Spending time with family is great.

No comments: